Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Easy Citrus and Coconut Cream Pie, and Why Robots Suck

          Since this blog is brand new, I have spend literally hours upon hours trying to get it to look just the way I want. I've added themes, taken them off, changed ever color and type of font--only to erase it and start over. Between this and all the issues I ran into trying to get everything set up, I spent four hours yesterday alone tinkering with this website. After sizing and resizing, editing and re-editing, I finally got this blog to look just the way I wanted it; the way it looks right now.

But then....

          Blogger's automatic robot detection system figured out the blog was done and perfect decided my blog was spam, and deleted it! I then spent several more hours trying to figure out how to get it back up and running as fast as possible. This morning, I Finally got their "Oops, our bad," email and my faith in the blogosphere was restored.


So now I bring you: 


Go ahead and dig in! Oh wait....

Easy Citrus and Coconut Cream Pie,   

also referred to as "what leftovers can I throw together Pie"

1 Ready to use graham cracker pie crust (or for a 'lighter' homemade version, follow the original recipe link below)
1 Lime
1 1/2 Cups of Milk
1 Box of Jello's Instant Lemon Pudding Mix
2 Cups Cool Whip Free, Thawed and Divided
1/2. shredded sweetened coconut, divided


Heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
. Mix milk and pudding mix together in a medium bowl. Let rest for a couple minutes, or until it starts to thicken. add in the zest and juice of 1 lime, 1/4 Cup shredded coconut, and 1 Cup of cool whip. Pour into pie crust. Refrigerate for at least one hour. 
 While refrigerating, prepare coconut topping. Put remaining coconut shreds on a baking sheet and bake for 2-4 minutes, or until Golden. It is best to check frequently, and stir them around if one section is getting darker than the other.
Just before serving, top pie with toasted coconut. 
Serves 8. 


       If any of you are watching what you eat, or are on Weight Watchers, this pie is easily adaptable by using things like sugar free-fat free pudding mix, fat free milk, and by making your own crust by following the original recipe from Hungry Girl (link below). If you do so, each serving will roughly be 4 points+. Like I mentioned above, this pie is a result of me having a ton of leftover toasted coconut from the creamy lime and coconut truffles I made last week. I couldn't bear to throw it all away, so I had to find a home for it. Since I didnt have coconut flavor or any untoasted shredded coconut left, I just looked at what I did have in my pantry, and went to town. In the recipe I said to use untoasted coconut in the pie filling, but I did not do this. I actually added toasted coconut since that's what I had. One day soon, I'll actually make the coconut cream pie, as that is one of my favorites. 

 -Sweet Sarah 





Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment