Thursday, June 14, 2012

Baked Cinnamon Bun Donuts with Vanilla Cream Cheese Glaze


       Sometime last year, I discovered the existence of donut pans. Much like the bad boy in school, I tried to  steer clear. No way do I need a donut pan, it's nothing but bad news. But I couldn't stop daydreaming. I constantly found myself on Amazon browsing the donut pans and doodling "donut pan" in my notebook during 3rd period. It was a problem.

So naturally, I gave in and bought a donut pan. 


and these were my first donuts. dear. Lord. God help whichever of you decide to make these. 

Baked Cinnamon Bun Donuts with Vanilla Cream Cheese Glaze 




For the Donuts:
1 cup all-purpose flour
4 Tbsp white sugar
3 Tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon (add more if you like cinnamon or want a stronger ‘cinnamon bun’ taste- I do)
1/2 tsp salt, optional
6 Tbsp buttermilk*
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp butter, melted


Yields: 6-7 donuts in this Wilton doughtnut pan.  Pans vary by size but this is not a “huge” recipe.  Double or triple, or halve (beat the egg and then divide in half) the recipe as desired.  For the extra bit of batter, rather than waiting for my one donut pan to come out of the oven, I made two small muffins in a muffin pan with it.  It took about 15 minutes for the muffins to cook through.
For the Glaze:
1/2 c (or more) powdered sugar
1-2 Tbsp cream cheese, softened
1/2 tsp vanilla extract (use more if you like a stronger vanilla flavor-I do)
1/4 tsp+ cinnamon
1-2+ tsp Water, Milk, Half & Half, Cream, Heavy Cream, Vegan Milk, etc. 
Directions:
For the Donuts
Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees and lightly grease or cooking-spray the donut pan 
In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon (and salt).
Add buttermilk, egg, vanilla and melted butter.  Whisk or stir to combine.
Use a pastry bag fitted with a large round tip (or a Ziploc bag with a corner cut off) to pipe the batter into a 6-donut pan.  Or just be extra neat and do this with a spoon which is what I did.
Bake 8 to 11 minutes in the preheated oven, until doughnuts spring back when touched or until dough is set.  Donuts will not be golden brown, but should be springy.  (I always underbake my baked goods but in my oven, these took a good 10-11 minutes to fully set up)
Allow to cool slightly before removing from pan, about 5 minutes.
For the Glaze
While donuts are baking or cooling, make the glaze by combining powdered sugar, room temperature softened cream cheese, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and milk/cream/water.  Whisk or stir to combine, adding the liquid, one teaspoon at a time, until desired consistency is achieved.
Dip the donuts into the glaze while warm (or cool).
Add a final dusting of cinnamon, sugar, brown sugar, or cinnamon-sugar mixture; sprinkles, or other extras at end, as desired.

-Sweet Sarah 


Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment