Thursday, October 11, 2012

Brownie Batter Cupcakes With Brownie Batter Frosting


            Ok, I know I say something along these lines on almost everything I've posted on this blog, but THESE, ladies and gentelmen, THESE are probably the best cupcakes I have ever ever made. That is a very bold statement but I believe it to be true. The Lemon curd cupcakes (Not featured on this blog yet) are probably the runner-up, but these are more phenomenal than anything ever. And I've made cupcakes a time or two; I've even made nutella cupcakes! How does something outwin nutella? I'll tell you. By being the most amazing thing on this planet.

           I made these as a birthday "cake" for one of my really good friends a couple weekends ago, and I never got around to posting them. In true bad blogger fashion, I also didn't take a picture of them until they were a day or two old and the icing got smashed a little. Yay me. Anyway, his birthday party went well and these went even better. A couple tips though:


You can use any cupcake recipe you want for the outer cupcake part; I used french vanilla because I wasn't sure if it would be too chocolately if I did otherwise, and I was incredibly happy with the outcome. Explore though, just know there is definitely enough chocolatey taste in the batter ball and frosting to go kinda plain. 

If you're using a brownie mix that has chunks of chocolate chips in it like I did, Just know that it may clog your icing bag/tip when piping the frosting on the cupcake. This is partially why my icing looks kind of funky in the pictures below. Either use a different brownie mix for the frosting or just sift out the chips before blending and you'll be good to go! Now, for the main show....





Brownie Batter Cupcakes with Brownie Batter Frosting


The Frosting is definitely essential....tastes like battery syrupy sugary goodness.

That middle part? Good Grief....GOOD GRIEF.




Cupcake batter (prepared as directed from a mix or your favorite recipe)
Box of brownie mix (standard size) with water called for on box and melted butter equivalent to the oil needed

 Brownie Batter Frosting:
2 sticks butter, softened
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2/3 cup brownie mix (powdered from a box)
3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup corn syrup
2 teaspoons hot water

INSTRUCTIONS:
1.  In a large bowl, mix brownie mix with water and melted butter (batter will be thick).  Roll batter/dough into 1 inch balls and place on a wax paper lined cookie sheet.  Freeze for about an hour.

2.  Preheat oven to 350.  Line 24 muffin tins with cupcake liners.  Set aside.

3.  Prepare cupcake batter as instructed on box/recipe.  Fill liners slightly less than halfway full.  Press a brownie dough ball in the center of each, then cover with a spoonful of cake batter.  Bake for about 15 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched.  Place cupcakes on a rack to cool.

4.  Once cupcakes have cooled, prepare frosting:  In the bowl of a mixer, beat butter and vanilla on medium until smooth.  Add powdered sugar, cocoa powder and brownie mix, beating on low until just combined.  Add corn syrup and beat on medium until combined.  Add hot water, increase speed to medium high, and beat until light and fluffy, about a minute or so. If it seems too runny, add powdered sugar until desired consistency. Pipe or frost frosting on cupcakes.  Top with brownie crumbs if you have any, however I just topped with cocoa powder.








- Sweet Sarah




Found over at Confessions of a Cookbook Queen


Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment