Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Smothered Chile Colorado Burritos

     Not to beat a dead horse, but I love anything Mexican or Tex-Mex as you can clearly see just browsing through my blog. This recipe calls for cooking the meat on low for 7-8 hours, but after sitting around for three hours on base with Patrick as he did all his deployment inprocessing, I didn't have time for such long cooking lengths. I cut the time in half and cooked it on high and I was afraid the meat would come out tough, but it was just fine. I'm sure it would have been a lot juicier and tender if I would have done it properly so I recommend just that!



      Smothered Chile Colorado Burritos

    1 1/2 lbs. stew meat
    1 (19 oz) can red enchilada sauce I use El Paso Mild brand
    2 beef bullion cubes
    refried beans either from a can or the recipe I provided you with
    5-7 burrito size tortillas
    1 cup shredded cheese more or less depend ending on personal preference
*I served mine topped with my favorite salsa and guacamole. 
 

Instructions
    Put beef pieces into crock pot. Top with crushed bouillon cubes and enchilada sauce. Cook on low for 7-8 hours, or until meat is very tender.
    When beef is done (very tender and flakes off when stirred), taste and add more salt, if desired.
    Make sure beans are warmed through. You can use canned refried beans or the recipe Nicki provides on her website here: Refried beans recipe

Smear about 2 heaping spoons worth of beans on to the center of each tortilla of each tortilla. Add about 1/2 cup of beef, give or take, and roll into a burrito.

    Place burritos into a greased 9x13 baking pan until it fills the pan. Pour some of extra sauce over the tops of the burritos to smother them. Place cheese on top.
    Broil until cheese becomes bubbly, approx. 2-4 minutes.
    This recipe makes about 5-7 burritos depending on how big you make them.



-Sweet Sarah 

 

 


Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment