Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Zesty Lime-Fish Tacos

Ok, I'm gonna come out and say it: You have not LIVED until you have eaten this recipe.


LIVED. 


You think I'm kidding or exaggerating; I'm not. 


        Until yesterday I had never made fish tacos, and my memory is a little fishy in remembering if I've ever even had one before (ok, ok, I'll stop). I was a little nervous, especially because I had some guys friends on their way and I would need to feed them something-- and you know how much guys can eat too. pressure pressure! Therefore, it was imperative it worked not that they deserve it . However, because I am insane I also made Cheesy Beer Chicken Tacos. as well as cowboy caviar and guacamole. There was more than enough food but even more so because these tacos more than worked. They changed my life. The fish is not nestled into a tortilla, but is actually a flattened Pillsbury biscuit from the can. I was really worried about this part, but I can not stress enough how amazing and imperative it is you try it this way at least once. So here are the tacos....


Zesty Lime-Fish Tacos 

I was so focused on taking the picture as quickly as possible that I didn't even notice this picture is focused on the "tortilla" instead of the insides. 
See those fish pieces right there? yes. yes yes yes.


Seriously Ya'll, these are so good That after I typed the first paragraph and added the picture, I went and made myself one and am eating it AS I TYPE THIS. Here is the recipe







1 lb tilapia fillets (about 4)
½ cup or 7 TBSP fresh lime juice (about 3 limes)
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
¼ cup Pillsbury BEST® All Purpose Flour
¼ cup yellow cornmeal
¼ cup flour
1can (16.3 oz) Pillsbury® Grands!® Homestyle refrigerated buttermilk biscuits (8 biscuits)
6 tablespoons Crisco® Pure Canola Oil
1 ½ tablespoons chipotle chiles in adobo sauce (from 7-oz can), finely chopped* more or less depending on personal level of spiciness
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon McCormick® Black Pepper
Your favorite taco toppings:
 shredded lettuce, cabbage, chopped red onions, chopped cilantro, diced tomatoes, black beans, sour cream, salsa (or how the original recipe called for, a mixture of ½ c salsa with ½ c sour cream and one TBSP of lime juice for topping). I personally used all of these topping except the cabbage, which creates a VERY full taco….full of amazingness.





Heat oven to 200°F. Cut each fish fillet into little chunks. In shallow glass dish, mix 7 tablespoons of the lime juice and garlic. Add fish; turn to coat. Let stand while preparing biscuits.* The longer you let this sit in the fridge, the better. I left mine in there for a long time since I was preparing two dips and two entrees at the same time.

On work surface, mix flour and cornmeal. Separate dough into 8 biscuits. Press both sides of each biscuit into flour mixture, then press or roll into 6- to 7-inch round.

In 12-inch nonstick skillet, heat 1 1/2 tablespoons of the oil over medium heat. Add 2 biscuit rounds; cook about 1 minute on each side or until golden brown and cooked through. Place on cookie sheet; keep warm in oven. Cook remaining rounds, adding 1 1/2 tablespoons oil to skillet for each batch. Wipe skillet clean.

Heat same skillet over medium-high heat. Add fish and lime juice mixture, chiles, salt and pepper; cook about 5 minutes, turning fish once, until fish flakes easily with fork.

remove fish and divide evenly among biscuit rounds. Top each with your favorite toppings. Fold biscuit rounds in half over filling. 




-Sweet Sarah 




Slightly Adapted from Pillsbury





Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment